The co-chair of the Congressional India Caucus sought a clarification on the Citizenship Amendment Bill in the Indian parliament that seeks to discriminate against Muslims on the issue of citizenship.
Sec. Destro acknowledged that it gives a presumption of citizenship to some religious groups and leaves Muslims out.
“Is this a serious legislative proposal or a just a crackpot idea going nowhere,” asked Sherman. The senior US diplomat said that it was indeed “a serious legislative proposal”, but “thankfully, it is not going through the upper house”.
Rep. Sherman Condemned the Indian Government For the Citizenship Amendment Bill
The sub-committee chair demanded to know whether the US had condemned the concept of defining someone’s legal rights obligations based on their religion. “We are doing it right here. This is a good opportunity to do it,” he said.
- Thank him for hosting the hearing
- Ask Brad Sherman to sponsor a Kashmir Human Rights Resolution
- Ask Rep Brad Sherman to call Kashmir a disputed territory and speak for the self-determination of the Kashmiri people.
Brad Sherman (D) (Chairman) @bradsherman
- California’s 30th congressional district
- 2181 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515
- Phone: (202) 225-5911
Help us increase our impact by signing up to receive action alerts and news as it happens.